NAME: Robert B. Mabagala
ACADEMIC RANK: Professor
SPECIALIZATION: Plant Pathology
RESEARCH INTEREST: Plant Protection; Seed Health and Seed Production; Climate Change issues
PUBLICATIONS: Google Scholar
Among Robert B. Mabagala’s many innovative undertakings, he is most widely remembered for establishing a modern African Seed Health Centre at Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania. With its cutting edge, state-of-the-art training and laboratory facilities, the center provides top-notch research as well as modern facilities for degree training and short courses in seed health and seed technology. The center forms a critical component of the seed health platform in Africa, facilitating the movement of germplasm across Africa and globally.
- Professor of Plant Pathology, Sokoine University of Agriculture (2004-todate)
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Soil, Water and Climate, University of Minnesota (June 2002).
- Founder, African Seed Health Centre, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro
- Country Coordinator, Tanzania – International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) (2013-2014).
- Board Chairman, Tanzania Official Seed Certification Institute (TOSCI)(2012-2014).
- Member, Technical Advisory Panel, Tanzania Coffee Research Institute (TaCRI)(2012-2014).
- Representative, Tanzania – Technical Committee for Biotechnology, Biosafety and Biotechnology Policy Development in Eastern Africa (BIO-EARN)(Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda) (2004-2006).
- Regional Chair-East and Southern Africa Bean/Cowpea Collaborative Research Support Program (CRSP), USAID,Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa and USA (2002 -2003).
- Acting Dean, Faculty of Agriculture, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro (1997-98).
- Acting District Agricultural Development Officer, Kasulu District, Kigoma (1978-1980)
- Primary school:
- Igalla Primary School, Ukerewe Island, Mwanza (1962-1969).
- Secondary school:
- Bwiru Secondary School, Mwanza (1970-1973).
- Mkwawa High School, Iringa (1974-1975).
- National Service:
- Ruvu/Nachingwea National Service Camps (1976).
- Diploma in Crop Production –Ukiriguru(1977-1978).
- B.Sc. Agriculture, University of Dar-es –Salaam, Faculty of Agriculture(1981-1983).
- M.Sc., Plant Pathology and Breeding, Michigan State University (1985-1987).
- PhD, Plant Pathology and Breeding, Michigan State University (1987-1991).